Ephraim W. Dawley (1830-1915)
From History of the Saint Croix Valley (ARC F 587 .S14 E3 1909 v. 2 in the UWRF Archives):
E. W. Dawley, after attaining distinction in both military and civil life, is now quietly living in his beautiful residence at New Richmond, Wis., where he enjoys the honor and respect of the entire township. His parents, Nathaniel and Orafie (Williams) Dawley, like many of the early pioneers, were born in Massachusetts. The stories of the vast rich country to the westward then attracted them to Allegheny county, New York, where on the 12th day of November, 1830, their son E. W. was born. After living in New York state for sme time the family located in New Richmond, Wis. Nathaniel bought forty acres, which he developed and improved. In 1867 he fave up farming and went to live with his son. Two years later he died.
E. W. Dawley was educated in the common schools of Chautauqua county, New York, and then learned the carpenter’s trade, which he has followed nearly all his life. In 1854 he moved to New Richmond. In 1858 he built a house on the corner of First street, where he now resides. The same year, February 12, he married Isabelle Cameron, of New York state, who died September 29, 1859. Thus left a widower, he joined the Union army August 8, 1862, serving in Company A, Thirtieth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. He enlisted again at Louisville, Ky., September 1, 1865, his first term having expired. Among his commanders were General Sully, Colonel Dill and Captains Harriman and Cox. Returning from teh war, he again resumed his trade and Alnora McHenry, of New Richmond, Wis., became his wife, September 27, 1867. Their one child, Earl, graduated from teh New Richmond high school. He married Lottis Ellis, of Glenwood, Wis.
Mr. Dawley was town treasurer in 1856-1857. For many years he served on the school board and occupied other important positions. He attends the Congregational church, votes the Republican ticket and belongs to New Richmond lodge, I. O. O. F., and B. J. Humphrey post, No. 216, G. A. R. In 1904 he gave up active business and retired.