Orrin T. Maxson (1824-1895)
Orrin T. Maxson (1824-1895 ) was an early settler of Prescott, arriving there in 1851. At first he operated a general store on the levee and later resumed his medical practice. Because Prescott was very small in the early years he also dealt in real estate, and in partnership with W. J. Copp platted two additions to Prescott. Maxson also served as postmaster and ran a sawmill and drug store.
During the Civil War, Maxson was commissioned as 1st lieutenant of Company A of the 12th Wisconsin Infantry on October 9, 1861. On March 19, 1862, he became the captain of Company A.
After the war, in 1867, the Maxsons moved to Waukegan, Illinois. The 1905 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois has the following entry for Maxson:
ORRIN T. MAXSON, M. D.
Orrin T. Maxson, M. D. (deceased), formerly a prominent physician in Evanston, 111., was born in the State of New York in 1825, being descended from an old New England family. In his early childhood he went to Wisconsin with his parents, who were among the earliest settlers in the northwestern part of that State. There he attended the public schools and received his early mental training. His professional education was obtained in Rush Medical College, Chicago. Dr. Maxson began the practice of medicine in Prescott, Wis., where he remained several years, when he removed to Chicago, and where he continued in practice. He subsequently lived and practiced for a time in Waukegan, 111.
In the early ‘eighties he moved to Evanston, 111., where he devoted himself to his profession until his death, which occurred at Pasadena, Cal., in 1895. Dr. Maxson recruited Company A, Twelfth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry for service in the Civil War, and served as its Captain during the entire war.
Dr. Maxson was married to Eunice McCray, of New York State. Those of their children who are living are: Dr. O. P. Maxson, of Waukegan; and Amelia (Maxson) Knox, who resides in Evanston. In 1882 the daughter, Amelia, became the wife of Laverne L. Knox, of Waukegan, who was engaged in business in Chicago, and died in Evanston in 1889.
Dr. Maxson was a physician of high standing in his profession and of superior accomplishments, and was a valued member of the leading medical societies. Politically he was an active Republican and took a
good citizen’s interest in public affairs. While living in Wisconsin he served as a member of the Legislature of that State. Fraternally, he was a Knight Templar, and in religious belief a Congregationalist.