James Amasa Andrews (1845-1930)
History of the Saint Croix Valley was published in 1909.
From History of the Saint Croix Valley (ARC F 587 .S14 E3 1909 v. 2 in the UWRF Archives)
James Amasa Andrews comes of old Revolutionary stock, his mother’s family being among the patriots who lived in Colonial days. His father, Amasa Andres, was born in Herkimer county, New York, July 9, 1801, and came to Hudson, Wis., in the fall of 1853, following his twin brother, Ammah, who came here from Stillwater, Minn., in the spring of 1848. Amasa was married December 31, 1831, to Mary Comstock, born in Owasco, Cayuga county, New York, February 27, 1811, daughter of Elkariah Comstock, the first Protestant clergyman sent into the interior of the state of Michigan. The mother of Mary (Comstock) Andrews was a niece of General Nathaniel Greene, one of the officers of the Revolution, and the grandmother was Abigail Dodge, a relative of General Dodge, also of Revolutionary distinction. Amasa Andrews was a contractor and builder, and many of the houses still standing in and about Hudson testify to the enduring quality of his creations. He was the father of seven children, six of whom grew to maturity: Edward C. died in the Black Hills in 1902; Sarah E. and Mrs. Mary A. Chambers died in May, 1898; Mrs. Cecelia Hughes lives in Anoka, Minn,; James A., the subject of this sketch, was born in Commerce, Mich., April 23, 1845; Charles A. died in 1872. The father, Amasa Andrews, died August 10, 1880, and the mother passed away December 23, 1882.
James A. Andrews received his education in the common schools of Hudson. In 1862 he was given a position as school teacher in the township of Warren, this state. The following year he taught in St. Joseph township. In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company A, Forty-fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and went immediately to Nashville, where the regiment was placed under General Thomas, doing guard duty between Nashville and Chattanooga. Just before the battle of Nashville he was appointed hospital steward for the regiment, which position he held until the quota for the regiment was filled. In February, 1865, he was appointed regimental clerk, serving in this office with much credit until mustered out, July 2, 1865. Upon returning to Hudson he entered the employ of the First National bank, commencing as a bookkeeper. In 1870 Mr. Andrews joined a surveying party on the Northern Pacific railroad line, remaining for fifteen months and then returning to his duties at the bank. His promotion from his original position was rapid, and after passing through the various positions of trust and honor in the institution he was serving as cashier when, in August, 1890, he resigned after twenty-two years of faithful service. June 4, 1877, Mr. Andrews married Ellen Miriam Gibson, born in Binghamton, N. Y., October 7, 1849, daughter of Marcus and Catherine (Butterfield) Gibson. The father was born in Alexandria, N. Y., December 26, 1816, and the mother was born in Wolcott, N. Y., June 8, 1819. They were married in September, 1847, and had three children: Mrs. James A. Andrews, Elbridge Dayton, deceased, and Frederick Morris, of Minneapolis, Minn. The father died March 24, 1860, and the mother passed away November 25, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews have two children: Ruth Catharine, born December 27, 1878, and Charles Gibson, born March 29, 1885. Mr. Andrews has always been interested in public affairs and has occupied a number of important public positions. Since 1870 he has been city surveyor almost continuously. For many years he was secretary and treasurer of the Willow River Cemetery association, and at the present time he is secretary of the Soldiers’ Relief Fund, a member of the park board, a director of the Hudson Carnegie library, and a member of the Edward A. Clapp post, G. A. R. The family are members of the First Baptist church, of Hudson.