Skip to content

Otis Hoyt (1810-1885)

Otis Hoyt, from Hudson, was the surgeon for the 30th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment.  He received his commission on September 8, 1862, and was mustered out on September 20, 1865.

The Bulletin from Baldwin carried a short obituary of Hoyt in its issue of Friday, November 13, 1885:

Dr. Otis Hoyt, of Hudson, one of the oldest and best known physicians in the northwest, fell dead in the sitting room of his residence on Thursday afternoon.  He was 83 years of age.  He was a surgeon in the Mexican war and in the war of the rebellion, and a member of the legislature of 1852.

Following is Hoyt’s obituary from the Hudson Star and Times of November 20, 1885:

Dr. Otis Hoyt

Otis Hoyt, M. D., died at his home, in this city, Nov. 12, 1885, of heart disease.  His death was sudden and in accordance with an often express desire.

Dr. Hoyt was born in Sandwich, New Hampshire, Dec. 3, 1810.  At the age of 14 he entered the academy at Fryberg, Maine, and graduated from Dartmouth College before reaching his majority.

He completed his course in medicine at Philadelphia and graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1833.  After two years’ practice in Mason, N. H., he removed to the vicinity of Boston, where he enjoyed an extensive and lucrative practice until the commencement of the Mexican war.  He was commissioned a Surgeon in the regular army, by President Polk, February 16, 1847, and served until the close of that war.

Following is another obituary from the November 21, 1885, issue of the Polk County Press:

Death of Dr. Otis Hoyt.

Dr. Otis Hoyt, one of the most prominent and best known of the early settlers of the St. Croix valley, died very suddenly at Hudson, Thursday evening of last week, at 5 o’clock, of apoplexy.  He was seventy-five years old.  He was a physician of marked ability in his time, and served with distinction as a surgeon, both in the Mexican and the late wars.  He located at Hudson early in the fifties, and was conspicuously identified with early railway, political and public affairs of northern Wisconsin.  In 1849, coming fresh with the honors of a successful surgeon from the Mexican war, he located at St. Croix Falls, then the most prominent and flourishing town in the St. Croix valley.  In 1850 he moved from St. Croix Falls to Hudson.  In 1832 he served in the Wisconsin assembly, as the member from the counties of La Pointe and St. Croix, which then comprised the entire northwest portion of the state.  He was surgeon of the 30th Wisconsin regiment in the late war.  As long as he was able to practice his eminent skill as a physician and surgeon lead to his receiving calls from a large extent of country, and he will be missed from the ranks of the old settlers, and remembered in kindness by all.  He was born in Sandwich, N. H., Dec 3d, 1810, graduated at Darmouth College in 1833, and from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, in 1836.  He went from Farmington, Mass., as surgeon of the 1st Massachusetts regiment, to the Mexican war.

Biography of Otis Hoyt, Fifty years in the Northwest

DR. OTIS HOYT.—Dr. Hoyt was born in Sandwhich, New Hampshire, Dec. 3, 1812. his parents were George and Mary Hoyt. Both grandfathers were soldiers in the war of the Revolution. He received a common school education; prepared for college in the academy at Fryburg, Maine; graduated at Dartmouth in 1833, and from Jefferson Mecial College, at Philadelphia, in 1836. he practiced his profession at Mason, New Hampshire, and Framingham, Massachusetts, until 1846, when he entered the service as surgeon in the United States army during the Mexican War. In 1849 he came to St. Croix Falls, and practiced medicine. In 1852 he removed to Hudson. The same year he was elected to the Fifth Wisconsin legislature, as assemblyman. In 1862 he entered the United States service as sjurgeon of the Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer INfantry, but was on detached service most of the time. For awhile he had charge of the hospital at Camp Randall, Madison, Wisconsin. he was examining surgeon of 11,000 recruits, and was medical director at Bowling Green and Louisville, Kentucky. he was eminent in his profession, yet public spirited, and engaged at times, successfully, in real estate and raliroad enterprises. As a physician, it is said,  to his credit, that he was impartial to the last degree, and as promt and punctilious in visiting the log cabin of the poor man as the parlor of a state or government official. He was married in 1837 to Mary King. Two children were born to them, Charles and Mary (Mrs. H. A. Wilson, deceased). Mrs. Hoyt died at Framingham In 1843 Dr. Hoyt was married to Eliza B. King, sister of his first wife. Their children are Ella Frances, married to Dr. Chas. F. King, Hudson; Annie, married to Dr. Eppley, of New Richmond; Hattie, married to—Lizzie, married to Rev. W. R. Reynolds, of Hudson. Dr. Hoyt died at his home in Hudson, NOv. 12 1885. Mrs. Hoyt died Oct. 1, 1886, in Boston, Massachusetts her remains were brought to Hudson for burial.

Biography of Otis Hoyt, History of Washington County

Otis Hoyt, M. D. , one of the oldest and best known citizens of St. Croix county, Wisconsin, was born in SAndwhich, New Hampshire, December 3d, 1810. Was the son of George and mary Hoyt. both grandfathers, Hoyt by name, served in the revolutionary war. His father was a farmer by occupation. During his early life Otis assisted his father on the farm. At the age of fourteen he entered the academy at Fryburg, Maine, where he preparted for college. In 1829 he entered Dartmouth College, and graduated in 1833; then studied medicine for a time with Prof. massey. Afterwards completed his course at Philadelphia, and graduated from Jefferson Mecial College in 1836. After two years practice in Mason, N. H., he removed to Farmington, Massachusetts, and practiced until 1846, at which time he entered the Mexican war as surgeon in the regular army, and remained until its close. In April, 1849, he visited Hudson, but there being no housed to live in, he went to St. Croix Falls, and spending one year, returned to Hudson, where he has resided since. aAt that time there were more half-breeds than whites, more log cabins than frame houses. The only white men with families were P. Aldrich, Ammah Andrews, Moses Perrin, W. R. Anderso, John A. Henning and Joseph Tyler. In 1851 Dr. Hoyt was elected to the legislature. House room being so scarece in Hudson he removed his family to Stillwater during his absence. When the doctor opened his office in Hudson in 1850, there was no other physician in the state within 150 miles. The nearest one being at Fort Snelling, Minnesota. He ofter went from fifty to seventy-five miles to attend a patient. Sometimes he traveled on mule-back, sometimes on foot. He was no respector of person, but obliged every call, whether in an Indian wigwam, or a white man’s cabin. he has always had a good reputation as a physician and surgeon. In 1862 Dr. Hoyt went into the army as surgeon of the Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, but was on detached service most of the time. For a time he had charge of the hospital at Camp Randall, Madison. He was eexaminng surgeon of 11,000 recruits. he was medical director at bowling Green and Louisville, Kentucky. He was known as one of the most successful surgeons in the state. Dr. Hoyt was twice married, his wives being sisters, Misses Mary R. and Eliza B. King, of Ipswich, New Hampshire. by the first he had two children, a son and daughter. by the second wife seven childre, two sons and five daughters.

Otis Hoyt, History of St. Croix Valley volume 2

Dr. Otis Hoytwas born at Sandwich, Stafford county, N.H., Dcember 3, 1812. His father was a farmer by occupation, and he hadthe privilege of attending such schools as the districs afforded. But he was inclined to learn faster than he could get on in the schools and studied much by himself. he went through Pikes’ Arithmetic in six weeks, doing all the “sums” until he got them right. Later he studied Latin. He entered the academy at Fryberg, Me., and received from that institution a certificate of proficiency in Latin and other branches of learning. Having been examined by various superintending school committess, he was pronounced by them to be “qualified to instruct youth,” and he taught several terms in the towns of Sandwich, Northfield, and other places. Carrying his shoes in his hand, in order to “save them,” he set out on foot from Sadwhich to Cape Cod, where he was engaged for a term of school. the Cape Cod country was rathre bleak and desolate ,but he got there and taught the school.  Whatever other recompense he may have received we do not remember hearing him say, but we do remember his saying that “the Cape Cod girls gave him the itch.” He matriculated at Dartmouth college and was graduated with the degree of doctor of medicine in 1833. A unique certificate, executed by hand, shows he attended Jefferson Medical college., Philadelphia, graduating in the practice of medicine at Sandborton Bridge, N.H., and in 1835 married Mary R. King, a daughter of Seth King, of New Ipshich. While at mason he performed successfully a very unusual operation for the removal of a portion of the jaw bone. he shortly removed to Framingham, Mass. In 1846 he removed to Charlestown, Mass,.  relinquishing his practice to his uncle, Dr. Enos Hoyt, and giving a bond of $2,000 not to interfere with the practice of his uncle by practicing in Framingham or within ten miles of there in either direction. In the meantime ,his first wife had died, and he afterwards married Eliza B. King, also a daughter of Seth King, of New Ipswich.

When  the Mexican war broke out, he was a lieutenatant in Company K, Foruth Regiment Light Infantry, Third Brigade, Second Division, of the militia of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He was discharged at his own request and was commissioned by President James K. Polk major surgeon of the First Massachusetts Volunteers, of which Caleb Cushing was colonel. He served during the war and held several important and responsible positions as surgeon of the military posts of Jalapa, Matamoras, Montery and the City of Mexico. When General Cushing had the misfortune to break his leg, Dr. Hoyt adjusted the limb and was his attending surgeon throughout the progress of his recovery. As an expression of his gratitude, General Cushing presented him with a fine saddle-horse. While the regiment was stationed at Monterey, 1847, Surgeon Otis Hoyt was made chairman of a committee to cooperate with officers of the regular army to make arrangements for the celebrating of the Fourth of July. They met and made arrangements and a committee waited upon Brigadier General Cushing to request him to make an address, which he consented to do. And also, by request of the committee, Colonel I. H. Wright read the Declaration of Independence. They celebrated on July 5, as the 4th fell on Sunday, “the day as dear to us in a strange clime and in the midst of war as when welcomed at our peaceful home.” At this distance, in point of time, it is interesting to know that various sentiments were responded to, dear to the hearts of old-timeAmericans: “The President,” “The Army,” “The Constitution,” The Illustrious Dead,” “America’s Fair Women,” ect.

At the close of the Mexican War, Dr. Hoyt returned to Charelstown onlyh long enough to make arrangementss for moving west. He made one trip out oto reconnoiter and returned for his family, then consisting of wife, and two children of the first wife. They came down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi to St. Paul.either at this time or subsequently Dr. Hoyt purchased some land in St. Paul, where the Union Depot now stands, but thinking St. Croix Falls a more favorable location, because of its water power, which General Cushing was interested in and because this point was the “head of navigation,” he went there to live. in 1851 he was appointed by General Nelson Dewey appraiser of lands loctated in St. Croix county. HIN addition to the practice of medicine, he also made himself useful in the new community in the office of postmaster, justice of peace, etc.  In 1852, having been e3lected to the legislature, he removed his family to Stillwater, as there were no houses to be had in Hudson, where he had decided to make his future home. Here he built a residence on the corner of Third and LOcust streetes, where it still stands. dr. Hoyt was eminent in his profession, was public-spirited and engaged at times in successful business enterprises. Dr. Hoyt was one of the principal promoters of the enterprise to build a railroad from St. Croix lake to the head of Lake Superior, and was active in procuring from congress the valuable grant of land in aid of the work. It was this land grant which subsequently secured the construction of what is now known as the Northern division of the Omaha Railroad.

In the vicissitudes and hardships of poineer life mrs. Hoyt, who came of a strong and self-reliant New england english family, proved herself a worthy helpmeet. She possessed a wonderfully well balanced temperament, and was a calm and sensible under trails, uncomplaining and determined to surmount difficulties, and was an apt competitor with her husband in wit and repartee. After she had been living in St. Croix Falls tow or three years she one day sat by the window with her sewing, and a baby in a chair near her. An Indian came to thto the window and put his blanket up to enable him to shut out the light and see in the better. he stood leering at her, undoubtedly expecting her to jump up and show signs of fear. Very quietly she said to come little Mary, “Run out the back door and tell father to come,” and continued her sweing, although much frightened. :Father” came soon, and sent the Indian away. At one time, when hunting had been poor, the Indians entered the cellar and Mrs. Hoyt heard them at the pork barrel. Again little Mary was dispatched for “Father,” and he came and gave them a few poinds of pork and made them understand they must ask him when they wanted pork. The “medicine man” seemed to be in much favor with the Indians and he could quite easily control them for that reason.

April 5, 1861, Dr. Hoyt was appointed inspector of teh Second Brigade, Eleventh Division of the troops concentrating at Madison, Wis., where he examined over 11,0000 recruits. August `9, 1862, he was appointed examining surgeon for St. Croix county, and September 8, 1862, was appointed surgeon of the Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He shared the fortunes of the regiment in General Sibley’s Northwestern Indian expedition via Fort Rice, Dak. On the return of the regiment from the Northwest he served as brigade surgeon, also as post surgeon at Bowling Green and Louisville, Ky. He was mustered out of the service September 20, 1865, and subsequently he resided at Hudson. Among the medical societies to which he belonged are the following: New Hampshire Medical School, 1836; Massachusetts Medical Societ, 1838; St. Croix Valley Medical Society, 1860; Minnesota State Medical Society, 1874; St. Croix County Medical Society, 1882, and was its first president; Northwestern Interstate Medical Society, 1882,  and was its first president; Northwestern Interstate Medical Society, 1882. He was an Odd Fellow during the thirties and a Mason for many years.  the children of Dr. Otis Hoyt are: Mary R., Mrs. Charles Dextr, and afterwards Mrs. H. A. Wilson, deceased; Charles Otis, deceased , both children of the first wife; Calab Cushing, deceased; Ella Frances, now Mrs. C. F. King, of Hudson; Lizzie, deceased; Anna Preston, now Mrs. F. W. Epley, of New Richmond; Ida maria, now Mrs. E. D. Sewell of Chicago; Harriet Hubbard, now Mrs. John A. Wyand, of Crookston, Minn.; and Eliza Bellows, now Mrs. W. R. Reynolds, of Chatfield, Minn.—Contributed by relatives

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: